Friday, May 28, 2010

It's the Little Things in Life...

Haven't taken the time to blog in quite a while. Been too busy living life, I guess. I had a birthday the other day. My three youngest children, Cameron (5), Catherine (nearly 4) and Carson (also nearly 4), woke up the morning of my birthday, bright and early (around 7am). They not-so-quietly gathered their art supplies (I laid in bed, listening to them) and took them into the dining room. I stayed quietly in my room hoping to get a few extra minutes of sleep.

A few minutes later, I heard their little feet slapping along the floor on their way into my bedroom. They were loudly whispering to each other to "shsh", and giggling as they walked up to my bed. Then, they just stood there for a few seconds giggling and whispering some more. I cracked open my eyes, and could just see their sweet little faces brightly lit with their enormous smiles holding their newly made pieces of art (more watercolor ponies).

Cameron immediately saw that I was awake and quickly led his younger brother and sister in a rousing, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOMMY!!! We made these for you!" I took their sweet offerings and thanked each of them. Not bad for a five-year-old and nearly-four-year-old twins, all on their own I might add. Keith was already at work and Corbin was still fast asleep in his bed.

The moment didn't last long, however. As soon as I accepted my early morning "gifts", I was bombarded with demands for breakfast, and I gladly acquiesced. The rest of my day was filled with birthday wishes from friends and family, lunch with some dear friends, and ended with Keith and the kids taking me out to supper and a movie. After we got home, I got my presents! Keith had taken each of the children shopping and allowed them each to pick out their own present. Corbin gave me the Wheel of Fortune game! Cameron wanted to give me a movie with lots of hugging and kissing, so I got "Australia" from him. Catherine wanted to give me a pretty ring -- I got three with "diamonds". Carson told Keith he wanted to get me a tree. His face was lit with pure joy and excitement as he carried in my new azalea bush, which was nearly as big as he was!

My day was filled with hugs, kisses, declarations of love and birthday wishes. What a blessed woman I am! It brought me so much joy just to receive the small tokens of their love, from my children. It didn't take big gestures. Just knowing that my very young children remembered my birthday without prompting, was a priceless gift. Getting unsolicited declarations of love and hugs from my 11-year-old, was a "jewel of great price". Learning that my husband guided our children in learning a lesson of giving, was heart-warming.

How proud I was (and am) to be the wife and mother to this family!

I'm sure that God feels the same way about us. In those moments when we show Him our love without asking anything in return. When we sacrificially give of our time and money just because we want to show His love to others, what that must do to His heart! Not to mention how it makes the recipients of our time and money feel. When we give to God and love Him just for the pure enjoyment of wanting to please Him and love Him, it must make God so happy and proud to be our Father.

Just another lesson from my children on how I can be a better "child of God". How have you shown your heavenly "Daddy" how much you love Him, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment